Finishing well . . . Walking in faith . . .

Monday, September 2, 2013

Spa rage ...

The hospital where I work sent me to a meeting in a nearby city this last week.  It was a wonderful meeting and just the break I needed from everyday stress at work!  It was a great review and I got a lot of good information to take back to work with me . . .

Best part of the day away - when the meeting was over - I headed to my favorite spa for a pedicure and nail fill.  It had been 3 weeks since my last visit there and was I ever surprised with some big changes!  The usual little girl who owned the shop was gone and one of her workers had bought the place and made some very nice changes.  

The new owner has a unique story.  He (Randy) is a recently retired Marine Gunnery Sargeant.  He and his family have traveled the world and now settled in North Central Kansas.  Sargeant Randy spent 3 months in nail school and passed his boards.   Now he and his wife manage the shop and their oldest daughter is waiting to receive her license in the mail any day now.

Back to my relaxing day away - - - you know how it is when you find yourself with "time" to spend the way you choose?  It doesn't happen often, that you don't have something to get to next - some place to be or someone else is waiting on you to be back - - - but this afternoon - - - I actually felt like I just had the rest of the day to myself.  After finishing up a great pedicure with brightly painted orange toenails  . . . I moved on to my nail fill - - - That's when things got a little crazy . . .

Managing a new store with only yourself to do all of the work - and in a business where "walk-ins" are encouraged - - - scheduling can be tricky I would guess.  Mr. Sargeant Randy had a lady return at 3:30 and by now it was 3:45 and I was just beginning my nails - - - I noticed - the lady whose hands were soaking for her manicure- - - she was getting impatient - - - watching the clock - - - turning and looking at us - - - shaking her head - - - and then came the comments . . . "you told me 3:30 and now it's 3:45 . . . ".  I'm sure that his training with the Marine Corp gave him plenty of "leadership skills" and "anger management skills" . . . I mean how could this unhappy ole gal even compare to the stress he has been in from time to time??   Pretty soon - I had had enough - - - I didn't have his patience for rudemess - - -   I said, "If you want to go take care of her because she is having a hissy fit - you can - I am in no hurry"   "Oh, do you mind?", said Sargeant Randy.  Off he ran to keep the customer happy and before long she was relaxing and laughing and focusing on herself - cuz you know - it's all about her  . . .

The lesson in this?  Not sure if there even is one - but it made me want to try and live more and more with the feeling I had that afternoon of not needing to hurry through life - - - not worrying about being home or to the next meeting or to work, etc.       It's a peaceful feeling.

The nail salon appreciated the chance I gave them to keep all customers happy and coming back by giving me a free salon spa pedicure - that was sweet of them  . . .



1 comment:

  1. Yea for the free pedicure. Some people can be so annoying & not even know they are doing it, it's great to be able to enjoy your day & be rewarded for doing just that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I appreciate hearing from all of you! It is an honor!