Finishing well . . . Walking in faith . . .

Monday, October 16, 2017

Welcome Back to Henningsen Happenings . . .

I started to blog in 2010 and it became a really fun way to share my life.    As with many bloggers, life happens, situations change, and priorities come and go. Writers block? or just life getting in the way?    Forward to 2017 and I'm vowing to make some changes in priorities and begin to share again.

First of all, as life will have it, my priorities were changed for me in a very unexpected way on June 25, 2017.  I've been blessed to live no more than 24 miles from both of my parents all of my life, and at the present we are just down the road 16 miles.   Blessings also in that my parents have enjoyed good health and independent living.    At 80 and 82 - that is not a given - - - and my dad became ill this past summer with some serious medical issues.  Blessing #3 - they were able to turn that illness around very quickly and he has recuperated nicely.  However, at the age of 82 and still actively farming a very big operation, he became in need of help with that as well as help with some other aspects of life.  Blessing #4 - I have two sisters!  I guess if dad ever wondered why God gave him three daughters, it might be that they could help him in life as he faced the "golden years".  Why we call it the Golden Years is another post . . . :)

One of my sisters lives in town - - - my other sister is three hours away.  She lives on a farm herself, she likes to call Green Acres . . . and she has learned to love life in the country!  I guess we have been the Town Mouse and the Country Mouse - because I have had no desire for rock roads, much less dirt roads, no cable TV, no neighbors, no grocery store down the street, etc.  And especially no critters!  Here I sit tonight one mile north of town, actually on a fairly busy highway, with no cable, and a list of critters too long for my liking.  Salamanders, spiders, toads, and mice.    I refuse to even write about them. 

Life looks different for me now . . . many of my evenings and nights are spent with my dad on the farm and I have fallen in love with the countryside here.  There was a time in my life where I became very out of touch with my home town and it's a real regret that I have.  However, now I have learned to love every street - and I can drive around for hours remembering the homes as they looked back 40 years ago.   Jewell, KS.  A "jewel" of a little village.   A few years back, Jewell lost it's school, and has suffered that loss in a huge way.  Once busy streets, full of high school kids from three towns, and many businesses, have become at times bare.    A group of women meet for coffee at 9:30 and 2:30 every day.  The men of the town can gather at the local implement dealer or the elevator to catch up on the latest news or harvest reports.  I recently watched as they planned the yearly Corn Show - an event that has been tradition for 75 years.   There was excitement in the town for a few days before.  And although I didn't attend the parade - the pictures showed people lining the streets.  Activities were planned for the young and old - with BBQ's and an exhibit hall with produce, crafts, quilts, art work, and much more. 

As I begin to put my thoughts out there again and share some of what life has brought my way, I'm taking a new perspective to my last 1/3 of life.  With the Grand 60th year birthday just around the corner in 2019, I am right back where I was in 2010 - - - wanting to do things well - - - finish well - - - be healthy - - - have value to what I do and how I spend my time - have a few good friends - Walk with the Lord every single day - - - be quiet, be gentle, be calm, - honor my mom and dad - enjoy my role as mom and grandma - and I invite you to join me on this journey.  Please . . . share some of your journey with me here as well!

Image result for quotes on god's plan








2 comments:

  1. Beautiful thoughts. I love that dad may now realize why God gave him daughters to be "a cord of three strands". Honoring him is both a blessing and a heavy load - but one day we will hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant! You,did the hard things!" Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you back and couldn't do the hard things without you!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I appreciate hearing from all of you! It is an honor!