Finishing well . . . Walking in faith . . .

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Zentangle Thursdays - A Try at Something New!

Heather at Books and Quilts has been sponsoring Zentangles Thursday for quite some time and I have loved watching what she and my sister Tami and others have created!   On Super Bowl Sunday I finally got to take an in-person zentangle lesson from my sis - and so although I have threatened to throw my first "tries" out the window . . . I am giving it one more shot!

Heather's challenge includes letting readers give suggestions for a theme for each week.  My sister Tami from Just One More Thing chose the theme "Olympics" as the Winter Olympics began today in Sochi, Russia!

So tonight as I listened and watched the figure skating - I created my first Zentangle.

I quickly realized that Zentangling for me - might be a bad thing . . . nothing else was getting done!!  I needed to make a meal for a family at church and I needed to pack for the weekend.  I wanted to sweep and mop the kitchen.   Then I told myself - I had been off work today as I really had not felt well - - - so I NEEDED to sit and relax with a zentangle most of all.  

I can doodle well.  I can draw a really cool 3-legged foot stool - learned it in drawing classes as a young teen. But I may be zen-challenged . . . You see in the Zentangle world there are many patterns to choose from - and they are awesome!!   I learned from Tami that each pattern has a little rhythm to it and a place to start - well - here is where the challenge comes for me - - -seeing it - - - but I loved it and could hardly put it down.  

I consider this Olympic inspired picture a success - - - but oh boy - far from right - - - hey - remember those puzzles you did as a kid??  "Can You Find What's Wrong in This Picture?"     Well go for it!
One more challenge for you - can you find the "hidden" word in the Olympic Rings?  (answer at end of post)

Have a few ideas to try that will be Olympic related - hopefully improvement will come!

Thanks to Heather and Tami for inspiring me to Zentangle!



The Olympic flag ... has a white background, with five interlaced rings in the centre: blue, yellow, black, green and red ... This design is symbolic ; it represents the five inhabited continents of the world, united by Olympism, while the six colors are those that appear on all the national flags of the world at the present time.
— Pierre de Coubertin (1931)


Answer:  SOCHI is spelled out in the rings - one letter in each ring.




3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Olympic tangle! I'm so thrilled to see you learning Zentangles - another obsession we can share! :) I really like the idea of spelling out Soshi in the tangle. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teri, you did a great job. my first tangles are hidden in a sketch book and they are one done at a time, some of them repeatedly until I was satisfied. I don't know how many times I drew and coloured in Knightsbridge, usually with curved lines. I find it a very relaxing exercise . I hope that you'll join in with Tangled Thursdays again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I appreciate hearing from all of you! It is an honor!