Finishing well . . . Walking in faith . . .

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

March Madness

Checking in with my monthly weight loss tip or lesson learned or bit of encouragement . . .


Are you mad about March Madness??  Or are you just mad?? 

This month I'm going to share about  - anger.

Do you turn to food when you are frustrated or angry?

I know that I do and as I study about it I see that it makes perfect sense as to why food helps take the edge off or can be a reward to ourselves for a bad day or stress at work, etc.   Food can act just like a drug to numb pain.  Stress, anxiety, worry and depression can all hurt.  Food numbs the pain for just a tiny while.  I know the feeling - it's hard to put into words but for me it feels like about 5 minutes of relief - either from trying NOT to eat and wanting to really bad or from feeling nervous and stressed.  On the other hand - - - it is the best reward for me when times are going good.  So go figure . . . When you think like this my friend . . . you are in deep trouble.

From Web MD:


Emotional eating is the practice of consuming large quantities of food -- usually "comfort" or junk foods -- in response to feelings instead of hunger. Experts estimate that 75% of overeating is caused by emotions.
Many of us learn that food can bring comfort, at least in the short-term. As a result, we often turn to food to heal emotional problems. Eating becomes a habit preventing us from learning skills that can effectively resolve our emotional distress.
Depression, boredom, loneliness, chronic anger, anxiety, frustration, stress, problems with interpersonal relationships, and poor self-esteem can result in overeating and unwanted weight gain.
By identifying what triggers our emotional eating, we can substitute more appropriate techniques to manage our emotional problems and take food and weight gain out of the equation.


SOOOOO I wondered - what are these techniques that can help me manage - - - You see I've figured out WHAT triggers me to eat - - - I just have not come up with alternative actions that I like :)

These are the solutions I found while studying . . .

Read a good book or magazine or listen to music.
Go for a walk or jog.
Take a bubble bath.
Do deep breathing exercises.
Play cards or a board game.
Talk to a friend.
Do housework, laundry, or yard work.
Wash the car.
Write a letter.
Or do any other pleasurable or necessary activity until the urge to eat passes.

How do you feel?  Would these things distract you from eating when you are not truly hungry?  What ones work for you and what ones would NOT. Perhaps you have better ideas?

I know for myself that sometimes several would work but I also know that many times I feel I need some more help. Prayer, meditation, counseling are other suggestions and your doctor can be helpful in your decision to lose weight.

Having a weight loss partner has been the biggest help for me. Thank you Tami! Family support is priceless also and I have had that too.

March Madness?? Weight loss madness?? Whatever you have - take some time to get alone and relax - think about the biggest reasons you want to lose weight. Imagine yourself with your new look. Know that once you lose 10 pounds you will feel differently - when you lose 20 pounds you will feel like a new person - when another 20 comes off - your life changes - you become more active and you feel/look younger. Set small goals. Celebrate them!

I started this post earlier in the month - thinking of how angry I was at myself because I could be at my goal weight - instead I'm hanging in at 25 pounds off. But I feel encouraged and I took the first step to get back on the treadmill - picked up the hand weights - went swimming - shot some baskets - - - and now I'm ready to take on the next step - 25 more pounds!!

I'd love to hear from some of you about your struggles with weight loss - if you don't feel like sharing publicly please feel free to email me! cthenningsen@gmail.com

Until next month . . .

March is National Nutrition Month. So even if you failed to keep those New Year’s resolutions, it is not too late to start anew! WebMD offers fifteen health foods that will boost your health while lowering your grocery budget.

1) Brown rice.
2) Whole-wheat or multigrain pasta.
3) 100 percent whole-wheat bread.
4) Nonfat Greek yogurt.
5) Old-fashioned oats.
6) Frozen vegetables.
7) Russet potatoes.
8) Fresh bagged spinach.
9) Canned refried beans.
10) Canned tuna.
11) Canned or jarred marinara sauce.
12) Whole-wheat pita bread.
13) Store-brand egg substitute.
14) Frozen soybeans
15) Dried lentils.




1 comment:

  1. Very good advice and insight. You know I'm an emotional eater - and the strategy of getting involved in something else helps me most of the time, but it's still a fight. You are doing well - hang in there!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I appreciate hearing from all of you! It is an honor!