Finishing well . . . Walking in faith . . .

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Mothers and Daughters


“I'm blessed and I couldn't be more grateful. Do you want to know why? Because I'm a mother, but that's only half of it. I'm blessed because, when I need to, I can still just be a daughter. I get the feeling that there is nothing more precious than to have both of these roles, simultaneously.” 

I love quotes and this might be my new favorite one.  I wish I had thought of it - I wish I had said that to my daughter and to my mom.  I will just have to show them this blog post instead.

One thing I know for sure . . . as Oprah would say . . . is that I caught on early in life to enjoy what blessings I have WHEN I have them.  We all know that life is short and it saddens me when people find out too late that they had blessings unrealized.  I'm thankful that it came to me when it did.  I am blessed to have my mom and my daughter!

We celebrated 8th grade graduations in supreme style??  I remember thinking - we aren't guaranteed high school graduations.  We celebrated them too when they came along.  We enjoyed - more than enjoyed our years at Emporia State University as a Lady Hornet.  We knew it would come to an end.  We had a close knit group of parents who became dear friends to us - and we always knew it was going to end.  So boy was the ride fun. We enjoyed supporting the Fort Hays State Tigers too and are proud our two kids realized college degrees (even when mom and dad didn't).   With trips to see family far away - we make the most of our time there.  With the littlest granddaughter we made trips to see her - made trips to bring her here - celebrated holidays, birthdays, summer vacation, and every season - whether it met with the actual calendar date or not!  The memories were made.


This upcoming weekend is one of those!!

I'll post more later about the blessings of having family come to visit!

My son-in-law firmly believes in the "3 day rule" which states that fish and family both stink after 3 days . . . so he therefore claims they need to be headed back home within the 3 day time frame.  HaHa - we know he is only joking - and we love his company!  Or wait . . . maybe he is talking about me???

Tune in later for an update . . .


Cold night - warm fire - fun - but the warm house won out!
Although it was very cold and we didn't last long, it was a fun start to our weekend.  One of the best things about our new home is that we are blessed with 3 guest rooms!  Instead of opening a tote full of inflatable air beds like we did last Christmas we can offer our guests their own room and bathroom.  We spent the weekend visiting, laughing at the dogs, watching football.  Casey and I took in the Holiday Fair downtown which was really a treat!  Always a highlight of their visits is to have the grandparents over for a meal.  Spent Saturday night with them.  Good times with family can't be beat.  Being together like this makes me miss the parts of the family that can't always be here.

Making the most of every chance we have to get together!


Tracy and Casey and dad enjoying the fire! And Roy but he is hard to see!
He just wanted Casey's popcorn!


Casey and Dodger napping!

Popcorn around the fire!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great time! I love sitting around a fire with my family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Vicki! I just visited your two blogs and loved them instantly!! We have many things in common! Books, favorite place the beach, getting healthier, grandkids, just a few I noticed right away! I'll be following your blog.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I appreciate hearing from all of you! It is an honor!